The resources administration consists of the creation of new resources (users), companies and groups, and in their update when necessary.
One Resource document is necessary for each user of the application. A resource may be created even if there is no corresponding user, for example, to represent a generic resource (customer, project leader, developer, etc...) in a project template. The resource document allows one to specify the resource license, type, rates and distribution profile (among other things). It is in the 'Resources' database where the match is done between the bought and used licenses (see Licenses information).
Geniusproject can also manage 'generic resources'. They are virtual resources that allow for a better management of project templates and long term planning. See the 'Resource management' principles for more information about generic resources.
The Company document allows one to group resources by company and to define default rates for a company location. If company rates are to be used, do not forget to create companies before creating resources, and then the corresponding Rates setup document. The company locations are also used to limit the scope of Public holidays.
For On-premise version, the Group document allows one to define the company Directory groups usable for document distribution and access rights. This is especially useful when the company's Directory contains a lot of groups.
Since Geniusproject is a multi-database system, all resources (resources, companies and groups) are published from the 'Resources' database into the other databases through the resource's destinations.
Updating the Rates of the Resources
If the rates in Rates setup documents are modified, it is possible to update the rates directly in all Resource documents:
Make sure that the 'Rates' setup documents are up-to-date.
In the Actions menu of the 'General' setup view of the 'Resources' database, click the Actions menu and select Update the resources rates.
The Resource' documents are only updated if the Import the rates parameter is checked.
Once the resources are updated, they must be published in the destination databases to be updated, if needed.
Resources Bulk Edit
To facilitate the update of existing resources, it is possible to modify several resource at a time directly from the 'All' views menu under the 'Resources' tab.
The field Destinations is such an example and is described in the Publishing section.
Some key data, for resources only, can be directly changed from the views, through the Actions menu --> Modify the resources...:
- Go to the Resources tab, choose any of the views.
- Select the resources to process in the view.
- Click the Actions menu and select Modify the resources...
In the following dialog box, select the field you want to modify.
Creating a Generic Resource Automatically
It is possible to easily create generic resources based on the various resource types defined in the General setup document of the 'Resources' database. To do so:
- Go to the Setup & Administration module of the Resources database, Setup tab, 'General' view.
- Edit the General setup document.
- Change the value of Create the generic resources from the defined resource types? to Yes.
- Select the destination databases where to publish the generic resources in the Publish in databases? field.
- Save and close the document.
- For each resource type, one generic resource is created and automatically published in all the selected destination databases.
- The name of the generic resource is computed according to the following format: %[ResourceType]_1.
The external ID of the generic resource is computed by removing all spaces in the resource's name and keeping the six first letters (and adding letters if necessary to ensure the uniqueness of the external ID).
All resources, that is, 'Resource', 'Company' and 'Group' documents, must be published in the destination databases in order to access and use these databases.
Important Note: Each time a 'Company', 'Resource' or 'Group' document is saved, it is automatically published in the listed destination databases.
Important Note II: Although 'Timesheets' databases can be selected as a destination in 'Company' and 'Group' documents, they are not published there, since they are not used in 'Timesheets.' To publish resources from a view:
- Go to the 'Resources' tab, into one of the views, depending on the resources that must be published.
- Select in the view of the resources to publish.
- Click on the Update the destinations menu .
- In the dialog box, select the destinations databases where to update the resources. The list of choices comes from the Portfolio database. It is the list of all databases where resources can be published.
- The field Destinations of the document must contain the destination database in order for the resource to be published in it. For example, if one selects a resource that have only Projects in the Destinations field and then selects the 'Timesheets' database in the destinations to update, nothing will happen.
- Click OK.
- If the resource already exists in the destination database, it is updated. If not, it is created.
- It is not possible to add or remove destinations from a view. This must be done directly in the document.
Renaming a Resource
This function is used to manage the situation when a resource Lotus Notes username is changed for one reason or another.
Edit the concerned 'Resource' document.
Click the Actions menu and select Resource Rename.
In the dialog box, input the required changes. See table below.
The resource's name is updated in all the destinations databases of the resource, including the 'Resource' document in the 'Resources' database where the action was done. The plans (Gantt) in the 'Projects' modules.
New first name
If required, the new first name of the resource.
New last name
If required, the new last name of the resource.
If required, the new initial of the resource.
New email address
If required, the new email address of the resource.
New external ID
If required, the new external ID of the resource.
New user name
The new username of the resource. The common name part is computed based on the other fields.
Note: This operation can be rather long, depending on the number of destination databases and the number of documents in each database. Indeed, the action scans each field in each document of all databases (with the exception of the 'Timesheets' database) to ensure that the name is changed everywhere.
Replacing a Resource
This function is used to manage the situation when a resource must be replaced with another in one or more databases.
- Edit the concerned 'Resource' document.
- Click the Actions menu and select Replace the existing resource.
In the dialog box, select the database where to replace the resource, and the resource which to replace it with. See table below.
Resource to replace
The name of the database in which to replace the resource. Single-selection field. Mandatory.
Within the database
The resource who will be replaced. Retrieved from the resource document. Not editable.
The list of resources defined in the 'Resources' database.
- Click OK button.
- The resource is replaced in the selected destination databases of the resource. If it is a Projects database, then the plan’s (Gantt) is also updated.
Changing the Resource/User Password
To change a password, navigate to the resource view
Click on your Personal profile menu which will be displayed as your name and select My profile.
- Edit the concerned 'Resource' document.
- Click on the Action menu and select Change the password.
A dialog box will be displayed where you can enter a new password.
- Enter your new password in the New password field. Geniusproject will simultaneously calculate the score for the new password’s level of security. The higher the percentage, the more secure the password. We recommend using an alphanumeric password combining upper and lower case characters.
- Confirm your new password by re-entering it in the Password confirmation field
- Click OK to save the change